- Created on Monday, 14 September 2015 05:20
Review of the Conservation Authorities Act
The province has initiated its review of the Act, with a process very similar to the one involving the Greenbelt: a high-level concept paper has been posted to the Environmental Registry; public discussions are planned; and draft changes will be posted for further consideration at a later date. The paper and contact info can be found on the Environmental Registry (posting # 012-4509).
This proposal has been posted for a 91 day public review and comment period starting July 20, 2015 - please submit your comments by October 19, 2015. All comments received by the deadline will be considered as part of the decision-making process by the Ministry if they are submitted in writing or electronically using the form provided in this notice and reference EBR Registry number 012-4509.
Similar to the approach above, the Province has posted a wetland conservation discussion paper on the Environmental Registry (posting # 012-4464). It is a high-level document; “listening sessions” are being held; and a draft set of policies should be posted at a later date for further consultation.
Locations and dates of the listening sessions include:
· Ottawa, September 16th: RA Centre, 2451 Riverside Drive, Ottawa 6:30 - 8:00 PM
· Toronto, September 23rd: Black Creek Village, 1000 Murray Ross Parkway, Toronto 6:30 - 8:00 PM
· Thunder Bay, September 29th: Valhalla Inn, 1 Valhalla Inn Road, Thunder Bay 6:30 - 8:00 PM
· London, October 6th: London Public Library, 3200 Wonderland Rd S, London 6:30 - 8:00 PM
· North Bay, October 8th: Discovery North Bay Museum, 100 Ferguson Street, North Bay 6:30 - 8:00 PM
· Niagara Falls, October 14th: Gale Centre 4171 4th Avenue, Niagara Falls 6:30 - 8:00 PM
Great Lakes Protection Act
Due to a quirk of legislative gamesmanship, the original window to register to depute at Committee following second reading was open for only 2 hours. Following interventions by the OHI and other organizations, there has apparently been an agreement by the three house leaders to re-open the window to register to depute at Committee. While focused on the Great Lakes, the proposed act has implicit and explicit implications for watershed management in the province. Look for an announcement following the return of the Legislature on September 14th.
Coordinated Land Use Planning Review
Following the winter and spring public meetings, we await the report of the Panel. Information is somewhat fluid, but the report should be tabled between now and the end of the third quarter, with a second round of consultations to follow.
For more information visit: morainefor2015.ca